[CentOS] Live CD problems

drew einhorn

drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 23:43:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to repair a remote system using the Live CD.
I have VPN access to the subnet where it lives.

An onsite person is booting from cd, and running a small script I
provided to tweak the default firewall rule set to allow incoming ssh,
and set a password for the centos user and start sshd

so far so good I can remotely access the system.

the problem is the live cd environment is very fragile.

I need to rebuild the contents of a couple filesystems,
so I need to umount them and remount them rw.

If I make a mistake in a mount command instead of giving
an error message and letting me try again.  The system
freezes and any other ssh session freezes, ahnd will not
accept any more incoming ssh connections. the only way
I have found to recover is have the onsite person reboot
from cd and rerun the script allowing incoming ssh again.

Hmm.  I should try to talk the onsite person through trying
something else from the console.

Argghhh!!! This is more than just an annoyance.

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
 --  Yogi Berra