[CentOS] Package Distribution Server?

Fri Jun 4 17:10:57 UTC 2010
Gary Greene <ggreene at minervanetworks.com>

On 6/3/10 8:27 PM, "Zhihao Lou" <lzh1984 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I'm trying to set up a lab with multiple workstations running CentOS
> 5. Does anybody knows how to keep the packages in sync among
> workstations? Ideally I want any change made on any machine be able to
> applied to all other machines. Alternatively, to "push" the changes
> (add and/or remove packages) from one central server to all other
> machine is also fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Zhihao Lou
>
> P.S.: Sorry for the confusion subject line. I really don't know what's
> the accurate name for the feature I described here.

My recommendation is use a configuration management system like puppet
(http://www.puppetlabs.com/) or slack (http://code.google.com/p/slack/)
using a role that runs yum with the change list needed for the machines in
the field. This gets you the ability to have uniform configurations and
"push" from a central server.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations