[CentOS] GRUB, and how do I loathe thee

Fri Jun 4 18:21:52 UTC 2010
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

a cross post -- how tacky

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Does *anyone* who works on GRUB actually work in the real
> world, and not only on brand new machines?

certainly -- I had a data recovery a couple weeks ago where
all I could reach on boot was the grub command prompt, a tight
time deadline, no spare box to debug from, and a need to do
exploration from that prompt

> I just had happen at work what happened last fall on my home system: then,
> I had /dev/hda, and was trying a clean install on a new SATA drive; right
   ... snip
> I am NEVER OFFERED THE OPTION of the MBR of the drive I'm
> installing to.

Yup -- Probably you did not get a clean initrd containing the
needed driver module for the SATA drive controller in
question. Happens a lot.

-- Russ herrold