[CentOS] GRUB, and how do I loathe thee

Fri Jun 4 20:38:39 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 02:10:31PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> I just adore the install. Esp. of GRUB.
>>
>> Does *anyone* who works on GRUB actually work in the real world, and not
>> only on brand new machines?
>>
>> I just had happen at work what happened last fall on my home system:
>> then, I had /dev/hda, and was trying a clean install on a new SATA drive;
>> right now, I'm installing on a replacement disk on a server that has no
>> CD/DVD drive from a USB key. My options: on my home system, it was MRR on
>> /dev/hda (which was being replaced, and was to become my backup drive),
>> and here, in the MBR of the USB key; in both cases, *only* in the first
>> sector of a partition on the new drive. I am NEVER OFFERED THE OPTION of
>> the MBR of the drive I'm installing to.
>>
>> *snarl*
>>
>>    mark "no grub, then linux rescue, then chcon, then grub install...
>>              I hope"
>
> Try `grub-install --root-directory=/path/to/your/new/system /dev/hda' (if
> there is on hda).

I did the linux rescue, chroot (whoops, not chcon) to /mnt/sysimage, and
did grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
Now, when I reboot, it goes into the grub shell. Googling, and using the
hostile find, I set root (hd0,0), and then setup (hd0). It claims
everything is wonderful... but when I reboot, I go back to the grub shell.

>From the grub shell, I've also tried telling it kernel
/vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5, and it claims it can't find that; neither can
find.

This is *so* much more sophisticated than changing lilo.conf, and running
lilo to update the MBR.... And no, I have no choice, this is work, so I
have to use the mandated grub.

      mark