[CentOS] GRUB, and how do I loathe thee

Fri Jun 4 22:06:30 UTC 2010
Gary Greene <ggreene at minervanetworks.com>

On 6/4/10 2:59 PM, "m.roth at 5-cent.us" <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Thanks, all, and with the help of the other admin, the system is up. What
> I had to do was linux rescue, the chroot /mnt/sysimage, grub-install
> /dev/sda
>
> What I didn't get until later was it also needed /boot/grub/grub.conf, and
> then
> ln -s /boot/grub/grub.conf /boot/grub/menu.lst
> ln -s /boot/grub/grub.conf /etc/grub.conf
>
> and it now boots. As I said, *so* much easier than editing /etc/lilo.conf,
> and rerunning lilo....
>
>       mark

Mark, you might dislike Grub, but overall, it's saved me a lot of grief
since lilo cannot start a "shell" so the poor sod can coerce the system to
start another kernel if needed. (Yes, this has happened more than on one
occasion with many the distro for me when dealing with rolling my own
kernel.) That and lilo is completely useless on newer hardware (EFI and GPT
labels anyone?) since it only understands BIOS addresses, whereas GRUB2
understands both. As stated in an earlier email in this thread, this is
mostly caused by Anaconda and some of the GUI tools doing the wrong thing,
not GRUB.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations