[CentOS] OT: SysAdmin Stories

Sun Jun 6 19:43:06 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 08:22:22PM +0100, James Bensley wrote:

> redundancy, connectivity etc...) only to have something fail the next
> day (so it really paid off!) and then nothing has broken since?...Just
> goes to show you never know!
>
> Also recently upgraded my personal Ubuntu server to a RAID 6 from a
> RAID 5 (about a week ago) and now it looks like one of the drives is
> dying, again, just in time!

Does this go to show the value of preparedness? Or does it illustrate the
power of luck? Or some intersection? I've often been lucky about when and
how stuff breaks down. And I've known people with what looked like real
computer jinxes. On the one hand, you never want to just trust your luck. On
the other, if luck can be involved, could it be that the profession selects
for those who have it?

Whit