[CentOS] GRUB, and how do I loathe thee

Mon Jun 7 16:19:14 UTC 2010
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Thanks, all, and with the help of the other admin, the system is up. What
>> I had to do was linux rescue, the chroot /mnt/sysimage, grub-install
>> /dev/sda
>>
>> What I didn't get until later was it also needed /boot/grub/grub.conf, and
>> then
>> ln -s /boot/grub/grub.conf /boot/grub/menu.lst
>> ln -s /boot/grub/grub.conf /etc/grub.conf
>>

> I did not create either of those links on my system and it booted just
> fine.  I wonder what they are used for?

IIRC, /boot/grub/menu.lst is a legacy from earlier times when grub
needed that one to boot.  Sometime in the last three years or so, grub
was changed to use a single uniform format file, so the menu.lst
became a symlink to the actual grub.conf file.

I believe that /etc/grub.conf is just a convenience to match most
other config files that live in /etc.

mhr