[CentOS] amazon ec2 and centos?

Tue Jun 8 11:45:02 UTC 2010

On 08/06/2010 00:32, Johnny Tan wrote:
> We're currently using the RightScale ones, but I think it'd be ideal
> to have a clean CentOS AMI with the current kernels.

Yes, I would like to have an official CentOS AMI as well and have looked
into creating something like this previously. The Amazon guys have been
fairly interested - but dont seem to be wanting to push things beyond
the 'interested' stages. They are really geared up to working with
companies and organisations putting forward development costs etc,
rather than a general community.

> Karanbir, you seem to have been the one on CentOS side who has had
> the most conversations with Amazon. Is that conversation dead?

Pretty much. There are still some inroads and I've spoken with the guys
at amazon as recently as a month back; but that conversation isn't going
anywhere beyond the interest factor.

Ideally, what I would like to do is get together some people who have an
interest in this; not associated with any $commercial provider, and see
if we can get some level of QA testing done. I dont really want anything
'official' unless we can be sure that the user experience and
expectations dont change drastically from a stock CentOS install.

- KB