[CentOS] amazon ec2 and centos?

Wed Jun 9 12:03:07 UTC 2010
Wes Shull <wes.shull at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:39 AM, J. Jefferson Gray
<jeffg at surfmerchants.com> wrote:
> We're currently running almost 20 instances with aws.  We're using CentOS
> 5.4/5.5 as the base, and the 2.6.18 kernel image provided by amazon in the
> form of their 2.6.18-ec2-v1.4(may have that form wrong).  This works well,
> but its also from December 2009 so we're 6 months off where Cent is now.

I was just playing with this over the last couple of days.  I found
that while all of upstream's kernels on ec2 seem to be marked as paid,
another rebuilder of upstream, Oracle, has kernels and initrds out
there for free.  I just grabbed the appropriate kernel-xen from OEL
and installed it, and my hand-rolled Centos5.5 image booted off their
aki/ari without any problems.  They don't seem to have the -194 kernel
out there yet, but at least -164...

Not ideal, but it works.

--wes