[CentOS] Service monitoring/"Monit"?

Fri Jun 11 09:49:45 UTC 2010
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/06/2010 08:21, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> Has anybody here tried the "Monit" utility (http://mmonit.com/monit/)?
>>

> For what you are trying to do - take a look at God (
> http://god.rubyforge.org/ ) instead or : as lesser complex solution -
> bluepill ( http://github.com/arya/bluepill )

OK, thanks, I'll have a look.

> I've used Monit quite extensively in the past and found it to be quite
> limiting in that it wont let you easily wrap your app into a self
> managed bundle,
That's actually part of what I want to do. I'd like to have an rpm
package install put a "real" monitoring config in /etc/monitors.d, but I
can't really do it if that means automatically starting the service - it
must be possible (and simple) to install the software without forcing it
to run directly.

>  or be able to use arbitrary conditions to influence
> monitoring state. Eg. When you are doing a yum upgrade httpd; you dont
> really want monit to try starting httpd when the rpm -e has just happened.

Quite. But if you could set up the way I want, it wouldn't, provided
that it was stopped in a controlled manner (which is something one of
the rpm scriptlets might do.)

> In your specific case, it will be nearly impossible for you to get Monit
> to do something like ' keen an eye on sshd, but only if it was already
> running and keep it in its state I left it manually.'

Too bad, really, since it seems like it very nearly has what's needed.
There is also a "dependency" mechanism that would do this, if only it
implemented real, hard dependencies. Right now, (as far as I can tell)
"depending" on another service merely means that monit will try to start
the other service first - the "dependent" service will not be stopped or
skipped if the operation fails.

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.