[CentOS] Service monitoring/"Monit"?

Fri Jun 11 11:25:54 UTC 2010
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 11/06/2010 10:49, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> That's actually part of what I want to do. I'd like to have an rpm
>> package install put a "real" monitoring config in /etc/monitors.d, but I
>> can't really do it if that means automatically starting the service - it
>> must be possible (and simple) to install the software without forcing it
>> to run directly.
>>

> God and Bluepill can both do these things. Its a classic case of what I
> call reactive-monitoring.
OK.

 From reading the docs on the web sites, there are a number of things
that are not quite clear, like what the "process" tests actually do, or
how I might combine a file test ("does the pid file xist"?) with them (f
that's what I want. This is perhaps partly because I don't speak Ruby,
and I'm sure what I want is doable...

Do you happen to know if any of these tools are available from yum
repositories and/or in rpm package form?

>  So you only look at specific conditions - then
> wrap them around a policy each. The problem with monit is that its
> unable to handle more than one condition in one run cycle, and its
> extremely hard to do co-ordinated scheduling across tasks using the
> monit config files.
>
> Imho, Monit is a good implementation of init; and useful for situations
> where the app can handle contingencies and policy itself.
>

>> Too bad, really, since it seems like it very nearly has what's needed.
>> There is also a "dependency" mechanism that would do this,
>>

> Deps are important,
Definitely. But do my mind, "service A depends on service B" should mean
that if service B isn't active, and can't be started, then there will be
no attempt to start service B, either - and there might even be an
attempt to stop it if it's already running. Not so with Monit, like I
said...

- Toralf