[CentOS] PHP file upload limit

Fri Jun 11 14:59:10 UTC 2010
Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Jerry Franz <jfranz at freerun.com> wrote:
> On 06/09/2010 12:32 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
>
> Eero,
>
> I've got 4 GB of swap. At the moment all 4 GB less 100 MB of it is
> available. That logically should be enough to allow me to upload a 2
> GB file, I would think.
>

> Looking at the bugtracker: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3118
>
> "PHP is not built with large file support on 32 bit x86, probably other 32
> bit platforms, all releases of CentOS 4
> Additional Information I verified that upstream does not have this problem.
> It is severe enough for my use (scientific processing) that I am changing
> OS."
>
> While the report is for CentOS4, it may be related to your problem.
>
> --
> Benjamin Franz

OK, at least part of it could have been related to the machine being
32 bit. I am currently playing with a 64 bit machine. I can set my
upload_max_filesize = 2G and that works fine; however, post_max_size
is a problem. if I set it to 2 G it seems to fail (no POST
transactions go through, it seems). If I set it just a tad lower (what
I have now is post_max_size = 1948M ) it works fine. So the cutoff
limit is somewhere in the 2G neighborhood.

Any idea why that would be? Is there a parameter anywhere that limits
how far post_max_size may go? The total memory setting I use is way
above ( memory_limit = 6G ) and that seems not to cause any issues.

Thanks for your advice everybody.

Cheers,

Boris.