[CentOS] Cacti/snmp question

Mon Jun 14 22:58:19 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 05:46:16PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> The big difference is that OpenNMS typically needs no agent or per-host
> configuration because it works with snmp and auto-discovery of most
> services - and it handles routers/switches as well has hosts.

Getting off my topic, but we're using custom Nagios plugins for stuff that's
at levels that can't be read from SNMP - tests that need by their nature to
run locally and report back. Probably some way to do that in OpenNMS too?
Anyway, that being the standard Nagios way, it fits that need well.

> I'm not sure of the details of how this works. With the default setup I
> get a single CPU usage graph on linux targets and windows targets may
> show none or one per CPU.  I think it is up to what the snmp agent returns.

I'm assuming the Cacti XML files to get multi-core graphs are SNMP ... if
that's right then standard Linux net-SNMP should allow that.

> >  Yes, snmpwalk gives a good response. (Although to confuse things, the
> > CentOS man page for snmpwalk is years out of date and doesn't present
> > the current syntax - still, it has a current built-in help page.)
>
> Does 'good' mean many pages of output if you don't specify an oid?

Yes. Is that a good 'good'?

Whit