[CentOS] rpm - diff and patch updating

Tue Jun 15 16:44:11 UTC 2010
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 12:17 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> The point is to see where changes are happening, and to be
> able to cherry pick in a migration toward the latest [but
> being able to spot the deltas from the prior version], which,
> as I understood it, was your goal

I can see that.  However, I think 95% of the resulting diff would be
irrelevant to what I'm trying to do, and it would become even easier to
get lost in the weeds...

> I did not suggest applying that resulting diff, as a patch
> without review, but rather as a means to get visibility as to
> what changes were being 'upstreamed'

The current patch files number about a half-dozen of varying sizes.
They seem to be arranged by functionality, i.e. patch 1 modifies the
location of the data directories, patch 2 modifies the variable names in
in parts of the screen handling, and so on.

A single monolithic diff of the entire tree would lose this functional
separation of the patches, and it would be a lot more maintainable and
understandable into the future if I could retain that instead.