[CentOS] Cacti/snmp question

Wed Jun 16 12:43:32 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 02:28:51AM -0700, John Doe wrote:

> I was able to make some plugins without too much problems (even discovered perl in the process)...

Agreed, it's easy enough to write Nagios plugins. I've done that too.

> Then PNP will "automaticaly" plot these values... but yes, if you have n values, you will get n graphs...
>
> > someone writes a Nagios plugin that captures per-core CPU load
>
> /proc/stat gives

There's a python script claimed to be able to turn that to percentage here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=148781 - so adapting that to a
Nagios plugin (which python's also fine for) could do it.

So PNP is just automagical? Aside from graphing each core separate, rather
than a combined graph, it would do what I'm looking for without much special
configuration? I got no sense of how to tie PNP in from its sparse docs.

In separate news, what I've learned is that Cacti _used to be able_ to do
per-core CPU graphing, but the latest versions aren't comptible with the
existing XML files for it - and no solution is on offer in their forum
thread on this.

Monin has nice out-of-the-box graphs on other stuff, but not CPU per-core
load.

Ganglia has per-core CPU graphing. There are RPMs in the Fedora repository,
but at least for x64 there are a bunch of unmet dependencies (for CentOS
anyhow). There are also older RPMs on Ganglia's own site. But the per-core
CPU stuff is more recent, so I'll be building it from the tar to test it.

Thanks,
Whit