[CentOS] Cacti/snmp question

Wed Jun 16 16:06:51 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 6/16/2010 10:30 AM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>> Two, hours of attempting to get cacti to work have led me to be
>>> underimpressed with the whole project.
>>
>> That's odd because other than the usual php version issues I've always
>> considered cacti to be the easiest of the graphing tools to get working
>> - but I haven't tried the most recent versions.
>
> Last I looked at Cacti, the hack to get some plugin support didn't work
> for me and I didn't have the patience to waste time with it, dropped it.

Perhaps - I meant things that were available via snmp where it is
basically a matter of adding the device name/ip and community string.
One thing that is particularly nice about cacti is that there is a data
export link associated with each graph if you want to do more detailed
analysis of the samples with some other program.  Opennms has a way to
get avg/min/max of values for a specified time span but it is cumbersome
if you want fine-grained samples.

> I have Nagios and PNP and it works well. Since your first reco to me about
> OpenNMS I have been intrigued, it looks like a very nice project and is very
> active. Ironically I do almost all my Nagios monitoring via snmp and where
> I can't normally use snmp, I create extends...
>
>> If you are willing to hack some ugly-looking xml files that specify the
>> oids and time intervals you can probably make opennms work for you - and
>> you might find its other features (thresholding, notifications, etc.)
>> useful too.
>
> Yeah, I also want to take the time to learn this package, it does look
> very powerful.

It would probably be a good time to start since they just released the
1.8 version.  It comes up basically working if you just give it IP
ranges to discover so you don't have to learn much to get started.  You
do need decent hardware if you expect to collect a lot of graph data though.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com