[CentOS] clustered file system of choice

Fri Jun 18 09:58:32 UTC 2010
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> > Boris wrote:
> >> I am just trying to consider my options for storing a large mass of
> >> data (tens of terrabytes of files) and one idea is to build a
> >> clustered FS of some kind. Has anybody had any experience with that?
> >> Any recommendations?
> >
> > We've been looking at glusterfs here. It's under active development, has
> > some problems, but it does work, and is in use a number of places around
> > the world.
> Will surely check Glusterfs out. What's your thoughts on GPFS:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPFS ?

We run GPFS (and lustre) on CentOS-5(x86_64). GPFS is quite nice and very
flexible but costs money. Lustre on the other hand is free and very scalable
but lacks many of the features of GPFS.

Never tried Glusterfs and Ceph is not even close to mature enough for actual
use (from what I've seen).

/Peter