[CentOS] recognizing correct number of cores on CPU

Fri Jun 18 14:19:25 UTC 2010
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Friday 18 June 2010, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I just installed centos 5.5 x86_64 on a new HP laptop.
> It has the core i5 processor.
>
> only 1 cpu is detected should be 2.
>
> This has happened before. Is upstream not keeping up with
> new processors released and updating the kernel?

I've used the stock CentOS kernel with even unreleased CPUs, there is no
general need for CPU to be supported.

Maybe this is a bios problem.

More information would also be nice (like dmesg output).

/Peter