[CentOS] Migrating away from Nagios

Mon Jun 21 12:40:10 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Jane Curry wrote:
> I'd try Zenoss.  I wrote a big paper comparing Nagios, OpenNMS and
> Zenoss (
> http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/open_source_mgmt_options.html )
>   - it's nearly 2 years back now but many of the basics are the same.
> At that time, I plumped for Zenoss but, to be fair, my main negative on
> OpenNMS was that it is written in Java - it did pretty-well everything I
> needed.

Java programs may have a slow-startup, but why is it a negative for a
long-running server program?  The required JVM is included in the yum repository
so installing isn't an issue and it seems like a big plus if you use the remote
monitor feature (works via RMI).  Also OpenNMS has had a lot of development in
the last couple of years. Maps are in the core code, much more configuration can
be done through the web interface, lots of ajax-y stuff to make the interface
easier to use, many more devices included for auto-recognition, etc.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com