[CentOS] Kernel independent OCFS2 packages for RHEL, Scientific Linux and CentOS

Tue Jun 22 13:30:40 UTC 2010
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Jun 21, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> On 06/19/2010 08:58 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
>>> agree. Karanbir, you used to say that community is about those people
>>> who help the community and not about those who use the community. ihmo
>>> Dag is one of those the made most for this community.
>>
>> I don't see how any of that is even remotely relevant here. And of all
>> the people, Dag is one person I know will understand that. Furthermore,
>> I have much regard and respect for all the work that Dag does. But that
>> has no relevance to the issue here.
>>
>> Not expecting this list to be turned into a mass announcement list isnt
>> a bad target imho. Besides, I would say the same thing irrespective of
>> who it was.
>
> Ummm, shouldn't the fact that this work replaces/supercedes stuff that the
> centos project started and abandoned have some bearing here?  That is, there are
> very good reasons for it to be relevant to this audience regardless of the
> personalities involved.

I think all parties have a valid point.

One, the list can't let every repo out there post an announcement about the availability of every package out there as the list will turn into an announcements list which is not what it is intended for.

Two, these are valuable announcements that the EL community should be able to see as it directly affects their environments.

What I propose is to have repos batch their announcements into a change log of packages updated since the last announcement (including pointers to the repo where detailed info can be found) and post no more then once a month or so.

Something along those lines would be acceptable and once agreed upon it should be added to the list's acceptable use guidelines.

-Ross