[CentOS] Resize all partitions bigger

Fri Jun 25 09:49:05 UTC 2010
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 23:05 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> I effectively have 1 drive /dev/sda  (it's actually a hardware raid 10 array)
>
> I have lots of free sapce. I want to resize my partitions (boot, home,
> /) bigger.
> Going to use Clonezilla to make an image of each partition and save it
> on another box.
>
> Then re-partition and format new bigger partitions.
> Then restore images with Clonezilla.
>
> But I know UUID's will be wrong and I don't feel like creating new
> ones. I just want to use /dev/sdx
>
> Am I correct in assuming I only need to edit /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf
> or is there anything else I need to edit?
>
> Thanks
---
Backup your data first.

I think you may make a mess out of what you have.  You need to know if
your Hardware Raid Controller Supports Online Resizing.  If so you may
be able to grow that then if you have used lvm you should be able to
just resize the volumes.  Some controllers do not support this method.
This way no fstab editing is required.

What you need to know is: The size of the configured raid controller
volume.  If it's already bigger than your Linux LVM then you can resize
(grow) you Linux LVM.  All with haveing to worry about file permissions.

John