[CentOS] Using CentOS on commercial product.

Fri Jun 25 16:10:48 UTC 2010

JohnS wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 10:14 +0900, Shinobu Takasugi wrote:
>
>> Question 1
>> Is there no problem from the view point of CentOS license?
<snip> ---
> I'm not trying to make a Mountain out of a Mole Hill but I have very
> distinct question since this OP has asked the nature of this.
>
> At the same Faq Page Quoted by the OP is:
> """CentOS and our logos are a trademarks of CentOS ltd, please contact
> us if your questions are not answered above."""
>
> Qustion goes to Respins that are redistributed.
>
>  Is the CentOS Project ltd. going to Indemnify ME against future legal
> actions from using Trade Marked Images? Is the CentOS Project ltd.
> willing to waive the rights of that in a legal document that all Core
> Developers have to sign?
>
> This has been on my mind for the past few months and I have been advised
> against doing of using any images contained therein for anything such as
> a respin that is disted public.

Sounds to me as though whoever is advising you is a) not familiar with
F/OSS, b) the concept of the GPL, nor c) whichever version of the GPL
CentOS is under (I don't remember off the top of my head). AFAIK, as long
as it's redistributed with source available, and credits to original
creators, there's no issue at all.

        mark