[CentOS] Using CentOS on commercial product.

Mon Jun 28 05:15:46 UTC 2010
Shinobu Takasugi <shinobu_takasugi at agilent.com>

Hello,

Thank you Jerry.

I think FreeBSD is good OS too.
But we prefer CentOS for compatibility with Red Hat.

When we decide to use CentOS, we will have a talk with CentOS project team
about donation.

Regards,
Shinobu Takasugi

 > Now I subscribe and I sent again.
 > I'm sorry to bother you.
 >

 > Our company make and sell some measurement system controlled by PC.
 > We use Red Hat Enterprise Linux on the PC currently.
 > We are thinking CentOS is another option for us.
 > There is no technical issue but we don't have enough information about license.
 >
 > We will do the following,
 >
 > 1) Install CentOS and our applications on the PC.
 > 2) Sell the PC to our customer.
 > 3) Distribute DVD made from CentOS iso image file to our customer.
 >
 > Question 1
 > Is there no problem from the view point of CentOS license?

I don't think there is a problem using CentOS that way.

Another option might be FreeBSD.  (See http://www.freebsd.org/)
There is definitely no problem with their license and it is a
very good server OS.

 > Question 2
 > Should we donate to CentOS community?

Of course, donations are always appropriate, especially if you are
making money from the product.   But, it is not a legal requirement.
Same is true of FreeBSD.