[CentOS] Virtualization as cheap redundancy option?

Mon Jun 28 13:45:17 UTC 2010
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
> On 6/25/2010 8:33 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> - VMware Server seems like it's EOL, even though vmware hasn't
>> specifically said so yet
>
> Given that there are known serious bugs in 2.0.2[*] and that release is
> now 8 months old, that seems plausible to me.  But another plausible
> explanation is that they've decided to throw all their effort at a 3.0
> release.
>
> Do you have any hard evidence that would help me decide between these
> two possibilities?
>
> [*] glibc change with EL 5.4+ crashes server, creeping CPU time bug
> mentioned elsewhere in this thread, web UI buggier than Brazil in the
> rainy season...

Here is the support lifecycle page:
    http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/general/index.html#policy_server
See the footnote under the "VMware Server" section.

Maybe there's a 3.0 in the works, but the general feeling is that they
have abandoned the product.  There have been no updates allowing the
console to work in Firefox 3.6, no fixes to the hostd crash (glibc
problem), nor any fixes to the creeping CPU problem.  These are all
major issues that would normally be addressed in any product a company
would expect to keep around.

All of these things together do not leave one with a good feeling
about the product.  Additionally, the way they are handling this has
made me feel less confident in VMware as a company, and instead of
looking at their paid products I have started looking at the
alternatives.  If they just came right out and said they were not
supporting it any longer, that would be preferable to what they are
doing now.