[CentOS] Upgrading MySQLdbyg

Mon Jun 28 18:43:20 UTC 2010
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Y'know, I sorta like that idea - say, a script or program that you can
> hand it info, such as if you've just built PHP the way I mentioned, and
> have it be added to the rpmdb. That would also let you know if you did a
> yum updgrade, and if a newer version than what you'd build had been added
> to the regular distro.

and this random guessing and recordatation to pollute the RPM
database "varies from ** and ** is better than" using a
package built from a pre-defined recipe driven by a .spec
file, just how?

packaging is not rocket science; building packages from a spec
file and tarball and patches is profusely documented

All RPM needs is for people to read and use the tools, and all
this is done well presently

"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it,
poorly." – Henry Spencer

RPM is a barracuda swimming through the *nix seas, ready to
exceed the capabilities of pre-schoolers on tricycles on a
moment's notice

Talking about random poor approaches on this mailing list
helps no-one who might wrongly conclude hereafter that those
approaches are good ideas

-- Russ herrold