[CentOS] CentOS MD RAID 1 on Openfiler iSCSI

Mon Jun 28 20:53:01 UTC 2010
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 6/29/10, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Depends on how you set it up, if you have 2 machines ( disk nodes ),
> exporting iscsi. 1 machine ( data node ) doing the import and sets up a
> raid1; you can afford to have one of those two machines down. You *cant*
> afford to have the data-node down. Thats where the filesystem lives. You
> can potentially have the same disks from the disk-nodes imported to a
> standby data node using something like drbd over the mdraid setup.
> Alternatively, you can look at using a clustered filesystem and have it
> go X way. But then you may as well use something like gnbd with gfs2
> instead(!).

Looking up gfs2 was what lead me to glusterFS actually and because
glusterFS had all the RAID stuff pointed out upfront, I stopped
reading about gfs2. Googling gluster then lead to openFiler which then
seemed like a simpler way to achieve the objectives.

> Yes, lots of options and different ways of doing the same thing. So
> start at the top, make a list of all the problems you are trying to
> solve. then split that into 3 segments:
> - Must have
> - Good to have
> - Dont really need

Must have
- low cost, clients have a budget which was why mirroring all the
machines is not an option
- data redundancy, application servers can go down, but data must not
be lost/corrupted.
- expandable capacity
- works with VM
- doable by noob admin :D

Good to have
- able to add/restore capacity without need to take down the whole setup
- application server redundancy
- webUI for remote management

I've done mostly LVM + mdraid setup so far, hence the openfiler +
remote iSCSI raid route looks to fit the above and is the most simple
(less new things to learn/mess up) option compared to most other which
needs multiple components to work together it seems.