[CentOS] centos5.5 text install forcing me to add all disks to LVM volgroup

Tue Jun 29 01:16:08 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Graphic installer doesn't like my graphics card, so I am using the text
> installer. I have two physical disks in my system.
>
> When I get to the "partitioning type" page, I choose "remove all partitions
> on selected drives [etc]" and put an asterisk next to sda, no asterisk next
> to sdb. I want to use sdb as a separate partition, no LVM, I figure I can
> set it up after installing. Then I hit 'OK' and go to the warning page, say
> yes. Review and modify partitioning layout - yes.
>
> So now I am looking at the partitioning page and I am surprised to see
> /dev/sdb and sdb1 down at the bottom, since that disk was *not* selected. I
> select sdb1 and try to delete, it says " unable to delete You cannot delete
> this partition: this parition is part of the LVM volume group 'volgroup00'".
> If I try to delete /dev/sdb1, it says I must choose a partiton. If i try to
> edit volgroup00, it says 'LVM volume groups can only be edited in the
> graphical installer."
>
> So, am I stuck? It seems like my only option is to go ahead and add both
> disks, then try to remove one of the disks after completing the install. Is
> there some sort of workaround for this?

You should *manually* remove the partitions and *manually* partition
/dev/sda the way you want, with the basic set of file systems (/boot, /,
/home, etc.).  The defaults are just not appropriate for what you are
doing.