[CentOS] How can binaries be different when package versions are identical? (mkfs.ext3 on CentOS 5.4)

Wed Jun 30 01:17:19 UTC 2010
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 18:07 -0700, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> Situation:  two similar servers, both with CentOS 5.4 64-bit.  Making
> an ext3 filesystem on one takes seconds, on the other minutes.
>
> Partition Size    Server 1     Server 2
>
> 1 GB                  0.7 sec       0.3 sec
>
> 4 GB                  2.5 sec       1.2 sec
>
> 40 GB                15 sec        13 min
>
> WTF
>
> e2fsprogs RPM is e2fsprogs-1.39-23.el5 on both systems
> mkfs --version reports "util-linux 2.13-pre7" on both systems
> mkfs -V reports the same on both systems (mke2fs 1.3 (29-May-2006)
> Using EXT2FS Library version 1.39)
> file size on mkfs and mkfs.ext3 binaries is identical
>
> However, checksum on these binaries differs across servers, and "cmp"
> reports files are different
>
> I took "mkfs" and "mkfs.ext3" from server 1, put them on server 2, and
> got an improvement:
>
> 40 GB                15 sec        3 min
>
> Just out of curiousity, I ran "rpm -V e2fsprogs" to see if rpm would
> pick up the difference and sure enough, it complained mkfs.ext3
> changed.
>
> Both of these servers have CentOS 5.4; Server 1 was installed in Dec
> 2009, Server 2 in April 2010.
>
> I'd like to:
>
> (a) account for the difference in the binaries, and
> (b) see if something else is different that I can make the same to get
> the mkfs.ext3 time down to 15 sec on both systems.
>
> Solving (a) should shed light on (b).  Any ideas?
----
I think the answer is in your original statement - 'two similar servers'

Similar says, not exactly and the hard drives, controller and RAID
configuration differences would be the first place to look for your
answer.

Craig

believed to be clean.