[CentOS] fresh install of centos looking for non-existant /dev/hda : /dev/hda: open failed: No medium found

Wed Jun 30 02:32:01 UTC 2010
Jay Leafey <jay.leafey at mindless.com>

Robert Heller wrote:

>> # lvm pvs
>>   /dev/hda: open failed: No medium found
>>   Couldn't find device with uuid r5HNPO-l18V-XfJ7-9RXY-AaWC-a4YY-3oL5h7.
>>   PV             VG         Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
>>   /dev/sda2      VolGroup01 lvm2 a-   232.72G     0
>>   /dev/sdb1      VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   232.81G 32.00M
>>   unknown device VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   232.72G 32.00M
>>
>> I just installed the OS, did some tweaks, but did nothing to hardware.
>> There was no /dev/hda listed when I went through the partitioning page
>> of the install.
>>
>> Where did this come from?
>
> I'm guessing you have some sort of IDE CD/DVD-ROM/R/RW drive.
>
>> How do I get rid of it?
>
> Remove the IDE CD/DVD-ROM drive :-)
>
>> Does it matter?
>
> No.
>
>> mahalo,
>> Dave

If the message is too distracting, you can exclude the specific devices
from the LVM physical volume scan by defining a filter.  You can do this
by editing /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, there examples there.

Jay Leafey - jay.leafey at mindless.com
Memphis, TN