[CentOS] CentOS MD RAID 1 on Openfiler iSCSI

Wed Jun 30 02:53:56 UTC 2010
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 6/30/10, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> So cut appropriate corners to fit. Just not like Backblaze. Their's is
> decidedly crap hobbled together.

With the kind of budget I have to work with, things are already
looking very rounded already.

>> I'm just thankful they paid for a Gigabit switch previously!

> D-Link? :-D. I had to get D-Links when money was a bit tighter but now I
> have HP Procurve 9210al switches.
>
> /me stomps on Cisco crap.

D-Link had always been decent to me so that's what I usually go for if
available. I've heard people mentioned the HP ProCurves for many years
as really good stuff but I also thought Cisco was the industry
standard?

>>> No, not putting Centos 5 on that. :-( Not trusting raid5/6.
>>> raidz2/raidz3 it is going to be.
>>
>> Solaris?
>
> Either OpenSolaris or Nexenta. Hey, I thought we were supposed to be
> running cheap aka freeloading?

I am, not that I wouldn't prefer to make the client pay for things so
that I can actually get somebody who knows the thing to config/fix it.
So it's always good, at least IMO, to know what the paid options are
if the clients ever cough up the budget for that.

But with the local SME mentality, cheap is usually the first thing
they want to see until they learnt their lesson like losing data
without RAID (it's amazing how many "servers" I come across without
even RAID 1) or losing work without UPS.