[CentOS] Samba and " (and maybe other characters) in paths/files

Wed Jun 30 03:59:25 UTC 2010
Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com>

>> Samba can serve files with " to Linux clients. It's a Windows
>> limitation not a Samba one.
>
> Thanks. Well that's a bit sad really...

I don't if it's so much "sad" as a design choice for NTFS. In
Windows/NTFS one can put spaces in a filename so the " is used as a
delimiter of sorts on the command line to tell programs the spaces are
part of the file/path name and not a separator between arguments.

I'm bound to be flogged for saying this but to be honest, I don't see
any issues with having spaces in my file names. :) I'd rather have a
file named "2010 Budget Proposal for CEO Review" then
2010budgetproposalforceoreview sitting in a directory somewhere.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie