[CentOS] Dell R605 w/ Perc 6/i problem

Wed Jun 30 11:44:38 UTC 2010
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Jacob Bresciani wrote:
> R605 is a power edge server model I think.The Perc6/i is a Dell rebranded
> raid controller, it's actually an LSI in disguise. Try downloading the
> Megaraid utilities from LSI and using them to see the status of the card.

Hmmm, I think I see the Linux/CentOS megaraid load as it comes up to the
install screen (before I get to look at partitioning).

> Also, when you boot the R605, you should be able to get into the Perc's
> firmware for drive creation/maintenance. You might want to check there to
> see how it thinks things are configured and it hasn't decided the 750G drive
> is a hotspare or something (a hotspare wouldn't show up to the OS).

As far as I can tell, it doesn't think it's a hot spare. Using the firmware
configuration utility, it sees the physical drive, and that's it.

> I'm assuming all the drives are connected to the Perc6/i controller. Drives
> connected to the Perc controller won't necessarily show up to the BIOS.

Yeah - five (I think) hot swap drive bays in the front of the box, all on an
SAS backplane.

	mark
--
"Nuclear physicists speak of five fundamental forces:
weak, strong, electromagnetic, gravity, and duct tape."