[CentOS] CentOS 5 Update error

Sat Jun 12 20:52:35 UTC 2010
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
> From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
>
>> Yes, you see you have Perl 64-bit and 32-bit installed. You really need
>> it as an i386 package?
>>
>> I have no problem updating x86_64 packages only.
>>

> Hi Alexander,
>
> thank you. I removed perl.i386 and the yum update process is now working perfectly :)

this is an ongoing sporadic problem with yum and centos ...  I suspect
what might be happening is the i386 package sometimes gets updated
first, then confuses it when it goes to update the x86_64 package.
perhaps this happens when a mirror is only partially updated, but thats
just a wild guess.

this can be a real annoyance when it happens with a package, like for
instance a library, that you have to have both 386 and _64 packages for...