[CentOS] Inquery: popular upload tools for customer codes in use

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 21:13:51 UTC 2010

On 3/1/2010 1:18 PM, Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've had a project to upload customer codes and some data to members
> inside a webfarm, the upload work will be done almost daily for quite a
> while. Customer needs the upload status be confirmed everytime and data
> will be verified later easily when in need.
> Is there one or more popular tools available for this purposes? open
> source is preferred, but commercial ones are fine too as long as price

Rsync over ssh is about as good as it gets for remotely updating files.
  If they can assemble a tree that matches the directory structure,
'rsync -av' will show a list of files that are different (and thus
updated) and you can repeat it if you want - no output means the remote
side is identical.

You'd probably really want to wrap this with a version control system
like subversion to get history, logging, rollback capability, etc. so
the changes would be made in one or more working copies, committed to
the subversion repository, then updated in a staging copy (where you
might do some tests and sanity checking) and then the staging copy would
be pushed to the real servers with rsync.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com