[CentOS] New to VM

David Milholen dmilholen at wletc.com
Wed Mar 3 20:40:59 UTC 2010

For example if i have 2 ibm Eserver 326 with dual xeon 2.8ghz each with
2 sata 200Gb drives.
how many virtual machines can be configured on those to run a couple of
mail servers and some network monitoring like ntop/nagios
possibly add domain hosting services on there also?

Les Mikesell wrote:
> David Milholen wrote:
>> What are some min requirements for Hardware and what performance
>> differences are there in just running another pid for an app?
> That question is way too general to answer and also depends a bit on what VM
> approach (xen/kvm/vmware server, vmware esxi) you use.  As a rule of thumb, I'd
> expect to lose 10% in overall performance and much more than that from disk head
> contention unless you plan the layout very carefully and spread over independent
> drives.  You can make some (perhaps more than that) back by overcommitting the
> machines where the load is likely to be bursty and staggered and by having a lot
> of RAM for better disk buffering.

David Milholen
Project Engineer
Wireless Etc