[CentOS] splash screen resolution

Michael Klinosky

mpk2 at enter.net
Wed Mar 3 22:00:59 UTC 2010

I installed CentOS 5.3 on a desktop box, and I'm having a problem with
the splash screen resolution (during bootup).

I suppose that it somehow got configged when I set the GUI's screen (I
run in level 5). I think that, in finding the highest res for the GUI, I
went past the monitor's capability. But it's good now.

During boot, I get a funny 'double' display (2 pointers, 2 sets of
text). I can't find where to change it (thru the gui or manually). And,
yes, I did try searching (on google.com/linux and the CentOS wiki).

I didn't see anything in /boot/grub/grub.conf that would set the res. I
read about removing 'rhgb'; I tried it, and at least it uses an
appropriate resolution. But, I'd like to use the graphical boot screen.

How do I fix this?