[CentOS] Recover RAID

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 04:45:09 UTC 2010

On Mar 5, 2010, at 11:36 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Jeff Sadino <jsadino.queens at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thank you John.  The thing is my data was not overwritten,
>> corrupted, etc.  Some was, but I know which parts.  Basically, I
>> just cleared the file system designation.  So if a file is 64K,
>> does the first 32K on drive 1 contain the first half of the file
>> and the first 32K on drive 2 contain the second half, or are the 32
>> size chunks on random locations?
>
> Trying to restich a broken RAID0 is going to be difficult. Question
> is is the md raid metadata ok, if it isn't then you are hosed. Make
> sure the metadata, usually stored in the last 64k+ of the partition
> is ok then see if you can reassemble the array, then try using a
> disk or file system rescue utility on a copy of the md raid block
> device and see what data you can recover.

Let me expand by saying.

1 make sure the partition table is restored to it's exact prior setup.

2 verify the md raid metadata at the end of the raid partition is ok.
Need to research that one.

3 reassemble the raid0

4 make a copy of the raid device

5 use recovery tools on the copy to retrieve as much data as you can

-Ross