[CentOS] CentOS server running java - won't let go of swap

Sean Carolan

scarolan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:37:47 UTC 2010

I'm monitoring some CentOS 5 servers running Sun Java.  We have set things
up so 2048 MB of RAM are available for the base operating system, taking
into account the xMx and permgen settings.  What we're seeing is the swap
space getting used up, and not released.  Is this normal behavior?
 Performance doesn't seem to be affected, however I'm a bit concerned that
the swap file is completely full:

free -m
Mem:          9993       9945         48          0        174       1695
-/+ buffers/cache:       8074       1919
Swap:         2047       2033         14

Here are the xMx and permgen settings:
-Xms7177m -Xmx7177m -XX:MaxPermSize=768m

Apart from Java/Tomcat/Apache and some HP hardware monitoring tools we are
not running anything else on this server.