[CentOS] Samsung f3 hd502hj and Centos 5.4

Tom Bishop

bishoptf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 01:54:57 UTC 2010

Not sure if anyone has seen this probably not but thought that I would throw
it out there, running centos 5.4 on a tyan s4985 and I wanted to add a hot
swap drive cage to it so I added a supermicro cage and bought some drives,
not wanting raid but something for storage and rsync backups.  Well I
decided to buy some of the newer samsung F3 hd502hj 500Gig hard drives,
supposedly good performance for the price since they didnt have enough of
them I bought some WD black 500G drives also.  Well when I got everything
back together I noticed that I was getting errors when centos was first
trying to boot, the error was Comreset -16 sata1.... wash and repeat 4
times, then it did it a second time, finally it would time out and and start
to boot.  Once booted it did not see the 2 samsung drives but saw all of the
other drives, didn't matter what channel etc...whether it was in the drive
cage or not.  I orginally thought it was the bios of the tyan board, which
is bad, but to no avail.  I finally booted one of the newer buntu livecd and
all drives were picked up, so i wonder if it is a kernel issue..if anyone
has any ideas or would like more info please let me know....other wise I
will need to swap/sell some drives....Thanks.

Here is the output from dmesg....

***Failed****

ata7: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x3048 ctl 0x303c bmdma 0x3010 irq 98
ata8: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x3040 ctl 0x3038 bmdma 0x3018 irq 98
ata7: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x3048 ctl 0x303c bmdma 0x3010 irq 98
ata8: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x3040 ctl 0x3038 bmdma 0x3018 irq 98
ata7: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata7: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata7: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata7: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata7: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata7: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata7: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
ata7: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata7: reset failed, giving up
ata8: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata8: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata8: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata8: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata8: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
ata8: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata8: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
ata8: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata8: reset failed, giving up