[CentOS] Filter web content in a LAN ?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Mar 9 16:31:09 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> I installed a network of five desktops in a small town hall, all running
> CentOS 5.4. The machines are publicly, and the mayor asked me to find
> some solution to effectively filter web content, as the kids' first
> reflex is to visit the interesting bits of the Internet first, from
> satanism to porn.

Satanism? What, you're going to filter all religion?

You could set up the browsers with filters - even google has "safe
search", and you could set the browser options to be read-only, so no user
can change it.

> One of the machines will be set up as a router anyway, since the public
> computer room gets its internet access from the town hall, and I've
> decided to make another subnet for it.
>
> Any recommendations for that?

Sorry, haven't been involved with filtering.

For that matter, is this *only* for children? If not, then the mayor is
depriving the adult users of their rights of free speech (assuming this is
in the US).

            mark