[CentOS] FreeNX : forward audio from server to client ?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:55:26 UTC 2010

On Mar 10, 2010, at 3:21 PM, "Scot P. Floess" <sfloess at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I should say that the KDE machine - was running Fedora 12 with no
> sound card whatsoever.  Again, XMMS worked from the Fedora box back
> to a Windoze NoMachine client.  It didn't work to a Linux client
> (Fedora nor CentOS) that did have a sound card.
>
> In both cases, the client machine didn't work when a web browser was
> involved - for example watching Youtube videos.

You don't need a soundcard on the server if setup with a dummy ALSA
device.

You do need ESD or pulseaudio setup properly on the server/client as
well I believe for NX to work.

Why Flash doesn't come over by default is because it uses OSS instead
of ALSA, so in order to get that working you need the ALSA OSS
emulator installed on the server.

Don't ask me how to do it, I am trying to forget even having tried it
and when it was working quality was terrible and control was touchy.

Your definitely better using Fedora for the server here as sound
support in CentOS stinks, but then again I don't use it for sound and
video support.

Google Flash and ALSA and prepare to go down a rat hole on this.

-Ross