[CentOS] crontab and/or anacrontab ?

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Mar 11 12:50:13 UTC 2010

Is one meant to have one or the other?
If so, which is recommended?
I have
--------------------------------
[tim at helen etc]$ cat anacrontab
# /etc/anacrontab: configuration file for anacron

# See anacron(8) and anacrontab(5) for details.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root

1       65      cron.daily              run-parts /etc/cron.daily
7       70      cron.weekly             run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
30      75      cron.monthly            run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
--------------------------------
[tim at helen etc]$ cat crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
I didn't write either of these,
they must have been automatically installed.

My impression is that anacrontab was ignored until recently,
but now as far as I can see both are being read and acted on.

Any enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net