[CentOS] Kernel Panic with wl.ko (Broadcom wireless driver) [CentOS 5.4]

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 21:56:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Martin Jungowski <martin at rhm.de> wrote:
> Bad news. Just like my self-compiled 2.6.25 and 2.6.27 kernels my laptop
> froze with your kernel and the wl.ko module, too. It didn't kernel panic
> and it lasted significantly longer than with 2.6.18 but it still froze in
> the end.
>
> I'm back to 2.6.18-164-11-bug4139.4192.4196 now. Instead of Broadcom's
> proprietary wl.ko module I'm now using bcm43xx with an extracted Broadcom
> firmware that I extracted via b43-fwcutter. That one has been running
> perfectly fine for the entire day now without freezing, crashing, or
> anything. And both standby and hibernation seem to work just fine.

I just wanted to let you know (in case you are not aware) that the
kernel 2.6.18-164-11-bug4139.4192.4196 is a test base for the
centosplus kernel. When the next kernel update comes out, it will be
"promoted" to the official cplus kernel. If you would like to continue
using this kernel, please be sure to configure your .repo
appropriately (
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus ).

Akemi