[CentOS] How can I access a ZIP file that's over 2Gb?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 00:49:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> I have a zip file.  It is over 2Gb in size:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 sweh sweh 2383956582 Mar 13 13:44 test.zip
> The standard "unzip" program barfs:
>  % unzip -l test.zip
>  Archive:  test.zip
>    End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
>    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
>    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
>    the last disk(s) of this archive.
>  unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of test.zip or
>          test.zip.zip, and cannot find test.zip.ZIP, period.
> This is because the info-zip utilities can't handle ZIP files over 2Gb in
> size.
> Windows can access it just fine.
> Anyone have any recommendations on a unix tool that'll let me access these
> large files?

My guess is that the code has not been updated to deal with large
fseeks. Looking at the FAQ at http://www.info-zip.org they know that a
file longer than 2 GB will have problems because of this.

While the only theoretical limit on the size of an archive is given by
(65,536 files x 4 GB each), realistically UnZip's random-access
operation and (partial) dependence on the stored compressed-size
values limits the total size to something in the neighborhood of 2 to
4 GB. This restriction may be relaxed in a future release. (On 64-bit
IRIX with the native compiler, the options "-mips4 -64" or "-mips4 -64
-ipa" [for both compiling and linking] may help. "-ipa" is reported to
generate incorrect code sometimes, however.)

My guess is that would affect things the most. My guess is that the
windows tools have code to deal with this and the unzip tool needs a
rewrite to match it.
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning