[CentOS] How can I access a ZIP file that's over 2Gb?

Brian brian-list at comcast.net
Sun Mar 14 02:39:57 UTC 2010

On Mar 13, 2010, at 8:15 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:

> And thus my question; does anyone _know_ of a Unix tool that can
> access
> this?
-------
http://www.info-zip.org/UnZip.html

Latest Release
New features in UnZip 6.0, released 20 April 2009:

	• Support PKWARE ZIP64 extensions, allowing Zip archives and Zip
archive entries larger than 4 GiBytes and more than 65536 entries
within a single Zip archive. This support is currently only available
for Unix, OpenVMS and Win32/Win64.
	• Support for bzip2 compression method.
[...]
------

Also you can make this work with Unzip 5.x if you recompile with a
particular flag:
http://dbaspot.com/forums/linux-misc/173810-help-unzipping-large-2g-plus-zip.html

A separate question but: to create these I think you will want Zip 3.0:
----
Latest Release
New features in Zip 3.0, released 7 July 2008:

	• large-file support (i.e., > 2GB)
	• support for more than 65536 files per archive
	• multi-part archive support
	• bzip2 compression support
-----
I don't see either of these available for CentOS via "yum" or on Dag's
repos.
It may or may not be trivial to compile these from source on CentOS,
some libraries on CentOS I've noticed are rather dated.
In terms of time spent, you may wish to set up a live *BSD just unpack
these, if that's all you need to do.  You may still end up building
from source depending on what e.g. FreeBSD ships with, but the BSDs
are set up with building your own items from source in mind.

Hope that helps!

Brian