[CentOS] APIC error on Intel Atom CPU, CentOS 5.x

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 07:21:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 19:13 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> I am seeing ``APIC error on CPU3: 60(60)'' warnings from dmesg
> periodically on a CentOS 5.4 box, kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.
> The CPU is an Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz.  I am not a
> hardware type, and don't have a clue what this means.

Try "noapic" on the kernel boot parameter.  Also if that don't work out
try "acpi=off"

> This is occurring while an rsync-3.0.4 process is receiving data
> sent by a machine running rsync-3.0.7 (I just updated the CentOS
> box to rsync-3.0.7 since noticing that it was a bit dated).  This
> is the only significant load on this machine at this time.

Maybe your running out of kernel threads and or APIC can't distribute
interrupts across the CPU.  Or APIC don't like your motherboard/cpu
under stress.

> This machine has locked up requiring a hard reset twice while
> this rsync process has been running at night with no problems at
> other times.

 Most of the times I have seen hard lockups is with interrupt problems
of distribution of them and failing hardware.

John