[CentOS] How to add virtio modules automatically to initrd in CentOS4?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Mar 20 15:12:02 UTC 2010

Am 20.03.2010 14:32, schrieb Felix Schwarz:
> Hi,
>
> I migrated a physical CentOS 4.8 server into a VM on a CentOS 5 KVM host.
> Everything works fine, I even can use the paravirt drivers for network and disk.
>
> However the required kernel modules are not put into initrd somehow. Of course
> I can call "mkinitrd --with virtioblk ..." manually but that's too easy to forget.
>
> I searched the web but I didn't find any similar reports... I found some
> references to /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd/ but this doesn't work for me.
>
> So how can I make sure that the initrd always includes the virtio stuff?
>
> fs

Create the recommended /etc/modprobe.conf entry

alias scsi_hostadapter${NUM} virtio_blk

and virtio_blk.ko will be picked up automatically. Not sure where
virtio_pci is a module dependency of virtio_blk.

Please see too

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-25441

Alexander