[CentOS] sendmail sending out on port 587

Gregory P. Ennis

PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sun Mar 21 20:55:47 UTC 2010

Dear List,

I recently spent some time out of the USA, and found myself in a hotel
that blocked port 25 which prevented my laptop's ability to connect to
my office mail server.  I did a scan on the internet and made the
observation that this was a common problem.  I had port 22 available so
I was able to get my office server set up to accept mail on 25 and 587
without difficulty.  The command "telnet mail.server.com 587" to my
office mail server connects without difficulty.

However, I have not been able to get sendmail on my laptop to connect to
sendmail on my mail server at home using port 587.

I have added the following to sendmail.mc on my laptop without success :

define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')
define(`ESMTP_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')

I finally made it back home, but have decided to change my configuration
to use 587 by default so that this problem will be avoided, but I have
been unable to get my laptop to connect.

Anyone having ideas would be appreciated.

Greg Ennis