[CentOS] Looking for experiences with filesystem choices....

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 21:33:13 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 16:20 -0500, Tom Bishop wrote:
> So let me add some more detail, I have a hot swap disk cage that
> currently has my backup data on it almost all of them are in VM's.
>  That disk is my primary data disk, all I need/want to do is to copy
> that data periodically to another disk that I then can rotate offsite,
> so I will have 2 more disks and will swap one in and out then during
> the night either copy or rsync the data to the offsite disk, rinse,
> wash and repeat....I have plenty of cpu, 16cores and lots of memory
> 32Gig....so this disk will not be my primary backup disk but just my
> offsite disaster recovery in case the other one ever bites the dust...
----

Ok then you skimped on the 16 Cores.  Copying that data is fine and
dandy with me.  But don't count all your eggs until there hatched.

It's just you have to understand something here don't rely on copying
any data from one single disk here now.  At least have for the primary
data to = 2 disks mirrored atleast.  It's ludicrous to have a 16 core
machine with one data disk.  That's is just completly insane in the IT
evironment I work in.  It's unheard of.

Check this out:  Lets Think:
That one single data disk dies or gets corrupted and you have your data
Stored Offsite like you plan on doing?  You dead in the water already.
How long will it take to grab the Offsite data.  Really think about it
now.  I am not being a "but" about it I'm just telling you what happens
in real life and has happened.