[CentOS] httpd stopped working under SELinux so I had to turn SELinux off. libxml2.so.2: failed to map segment from shared object: Permission denied

Kahlil Hodgson kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au
Thu Mar 25 03:21:58 UTC 2010

On 03/25/2010 01:49 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> CentOS 5.4 64-bit with SELinux, happily running for over a year, suddenly
> httpd fails to start up, getting an error message like:
> I turned off SELinux and was able to start httpd.
>
> But what went wrong?  And how to fix it and turn SELinux back on?

What went wrong?  You might want to start by getting a bound on _when_
it went wrong.  When was the last time you successfully started httpd?
The problem happened sometime after that.  Look in your logs for any
suspicious events.  Check /var/log/yum.log.  Any new packages?  Did a
yum transaction fail (postinstall might be tinkering with SElinux)?
Try "yum-complete-transaction".  Any configuration changes since then?

> Starting httpd: Syntax error on line X of /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf:
> Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/libphp5.so into server: libxml2.so.2:
> failed to map segment from shared object: Permission denied

Might want to try "restorecon -rv /etc/httpd" as well.

Kal
--
Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson                       GPG: C37B01F4
Head of Technology                         (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382

Suite 1005
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing.  You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.  Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason.  By all
means, do not use a hammer."  -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925